26.9.12

A Religious DJ

When he’s not scratching out a set at some smoky club, you’re likely to find Noval Harmanto in church. Odd? Not for this 30-year-old DJ who comfortably straddles both worlds as he pursues his twin passions.

Noval tells My Jakarta about his dark past and the traumatic event that helped him get sober, and explains what he is doing to help clean up the image of the city’s clubbers.


‘I Won’t Fall Into The Dark Side Of the Nightlife Around Me’


How did you get started as a DJ? 

I started thinking about how I could make money doing something I loved, and I realized I wanted to be a disc jockey. I took a month long DJ course and had my first performance in a club in Bandung, West Java. I did shows in Jakarta and Bali, and with my network of friends, pretty soon I was able to secure enough club dates that I was able to support myself. Before that, I used to own a small stall that sold leather upholstery for car seats. That was back in 2007, but the business wasn’t so good and I went broke. Around the same time, my dad was seriously ill and I had a brother who was still in school, so I was responsible for supporting the family. 

How did your parents feel about your decision to become a DJ? 

It wasn’t easy at first. Everyone was against me, considering my history. Even my pastor came and talked to me. They said nightlife is bad and could turn me away from God. But I was eventually able to convince them that I would be OK. 

What history? 

Well, I used to be a junkie and an alcoholic. I guess that’s why my parents and my pastor were so afraid that I would get back into that life if I became a DJ. But not this time. Not a chance. I promised myself that I would never again drink or take drugs. 

You seem serious about staying clean. Was there a specific turning point for you? 

I found out that my mom had breast cancer. That was quite a turning point for me. And everything I’m doing right now is for the sake of my family. So it has to be good. 

What else do you do besides DJing? 

I also do some administrative and finance work for Filter Management, an agency for freelance DJs and an organizer for events and parties around Indonesia. But you might be surprised to learn that my life is about more than just nightlife. I’d like to state that I’m a religious person and I’m actively involved in church activities. Besides regularly worshiping at a church in South Jakarta, I’m also a church deacon and help collect funds for charity, arrange church suppers and keep worshippers involved in the church. 

Do you ever find it odd, being so involved in two activities that seem very contradictory? 


Well, it sometimes feels like I belong in two different worlds. But it’s not really something I think or worry too much about. I always think that being a DJ is a job, something I have to do to support myself and my family. It’s not something I do just for fun. 

Do you ever feel like a hypocrite? 

Not at all. The strong faith I have always helps me stay sober and on the right track. I won’t fall into the dark side of the nightlife all around me. 

How do you split your time between the two activities? 

I always devote my Wednesdays and Saturdays for worship and the church. Outside of those two days, I’ll take any job offer that comes my way to DJ. But managing my schedule isn’t really that complicated. 

You seem pretty dedicated to the church. So do you still enjoy yourself when you DJ? 

As a DJ, I enjoy the experience of expanding my network, because that’s what the job is all about. Job offers often come to me at the most unexpected times, usually from people who I bumped into at some show or during my own work as a DJ. That said, I don’t like the fact that DJs have this image of being playboys [laughs]. At the same time, as someone who’s active in his church, I enjoy how I am able to find peace within myself through the religious activities I’m involved in. 

Say that your brother wanted to follow in your footsteps and become a DJ. What would you say? 

I would be the first to confront him. That might sound selfish, but I just want him to do better than me. 

Is there anything that you want to contribute to Jakarta through your activities? 


First, I want to help Jakarta’s clubbers stay away from drugs. I want to show them that they can still have fun without drugs. Second, and it has more to do with my job, I want to change the often negative image that people have of DJs, like that they’re drunks. Last, and most importantly, I want to create a peaceful Jakarta where nobody judges other people based just on their religion. 

Where do you see yourself 10 years from now? 

I want to be serving God better. No more nightlife. I want a job with regular working hours. I’ll probably try and start selling leather upholstery for cars again. This time I will really focus on the business, so it will be possible for me to expand the business and make it as big as possible. And somehow, I want to get married and start a family [smiles]. 

Noval Harmanto was talking to Farah Fadillah Anjanie.

Posted on Jakarta Globe

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

La Terrasse Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos