26.9.12

Break Dancer

Rahmei Yuda is convinced break dancing is an extreme sport. It’s got all the ingredients: adrenaline, competition, an air of anti-mainstream angst. But can dancing really be considered a sport, let alone an extreme one?

Today, Rahmei, a 23-year-old project designer, defends his extreme sport argument, breaks down the basics of a dance battle and gives us the story behind the name of his crew: Pertamz Breaker.


Rahmei Yuda.



When did you start break dancing? 

The first time I saw another kid at school moving, stretching and crumpling his body, I knew I wanted to try break dancing. That was in 2004. Luckily, I met these people who ended up being part of my crew, who liked the same techniques and moves as me. So we started to practice together. Whenever we get together we share new moves and techniques. We also critique and correct each other. 

What makes break dancing so interesting? Why not salsa or the fandango? 

I can honestly say I see it as an extreme sport. Mastering one move or another really gets your adrenaline pumping. Plus, the guys in the crew aren’t just my friends, they’re also my teachers. The art of break dancing involves teamwork. The guys around you give you energy and cover for you when you run out of moves in a battle. 

A battle, what’s a battle? 


It’s when one crew faces off against another. Everyone takes turns dancing and showing off the moves they’ve got. It goes back and forth until one crew runs out of moves. Whoever runs out of moves first loses. 

Can you just start break dancing anywhere in the city, or are there certain spots everyone goes to? 

No way, you can’t just start dancing unless you want people to stare at you and call you a weirdo. We have certain spots where we practice. We usually go to the Pertamina Building [across from the Gambir train station] or at a campus security post at my university. That’s where our name, Pertamz Breaker, comes from. 

How many people are in your crew? 

Four. 

Do you bring a piece of cardboard with you everywhere just in case you feel like dancing? 

Nope. But I bring a helmet and wrist bands with me when I know I’m going to be dancing. 

Describe Jakarta in four words. 


Freedom, fun, expressive and stylish. 

What do you do when you’re not dancing? 

I’m a project designer at a multimedia and power systems company that provides companies with computer systems, lighting and CCTV; kind of like a contractor. I work Monday through Friday, and I still go to class in the evening. There is no way I’ll ever get bored of break dancing. It’s like my getaway from my normal routine. 

Which one do you prefer, designing products or break dancing? 


I love break dancing, but it’s not exactly a promising career path. I’m not saying that one is better than the other, it’s just that you eventually have to commit to something. Right now, I’m trying to concentrate on building my career as a project designer. 

Can you give us the names of a few break dance moves?

We have a lot of moves — head spins, back flips and flares — those are basic moves. Some moves are combined with other moves to create new moves. Many of those don’t have distinct names, or if they do, we call them by a different name to everyone else. 

What was the toughest move to master? 

The flare. It’s hard to put all your weight on your hands and lift your feet while spinning above the ground like that. 

Could you break dance to a dangdut song? 

[Laughs] I’ve never tried it. But I did break dance to a Melayu [traditional Malay] song. That was awkward. I think we might try dancing to dangdut. 

What kind of music are you into right now? 

Michael Jackson. 

So, would you call yourself a professional or an amateur? 

Initially, I started break dancing as exercise and to have fun. Me and my crew battle the other teams sometimes just to explore and pick up new moves. We also do it to entertain people. We perform at high school events. We’re not looking to enter any competitions or anything like that. We’re just having fun. 

Beyond that, professional breakers have a well-established, solid team. Plus they’ve mastered almost all the moves. I’m thankful I have a solid team — that’s why we’ve won battles — but I still need to learn a lot.


Posted on Jakarta Globe

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

La Terrasse Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos