26.9.12

Indie Musician and English Teacher

It used to be every singer’s dream to sign with a major label. But in Jakarta’s jumping music scene, thriving indie artists are in no rush to give up control over their careers. 

Take independent songwriter and English teacher Dini Budiayu, 26, who says that writing and singing are in her blood. 
Today, Dini talks to  My Jakarta about the local music scene, discusses the advantages of being an independent artist and reveals a little about her debut album, which is set to be released in July on her own label.


"My inspiration comes from what I


Tell us, how did you get your start in music?

Back in 2009, when a friend of mine was in the middle of making a short independent movie, he asked me to do the soundtrack. After that, I started to sing in cafes every once in a while. Then, I finally decided to focus on making music. I think it’s in my blood too— my dad passed it on to me. Music has always been interesting to me. 

Where can people see you perform? 


I have performed in cafes in Kemang, South Jakarta. Come to EC at eX Plaza on May 23, I’ll be performing there. Or if you are curious about my music, you can just visit my site at myspace.com/sayadini. 

So you write your own songs? 


Yes, most of them. I’ve written 15 songs so far. I can just spontaneously picture all the stuff I’ve been through. The atmosphere, the view, the smell of even the most awkward situation — when I sit by myself in the back of a cab, it’s all still clear in my mind. When I write lyrics, there’s a sensation of getting pulled back into those scenes. It feels like I’m there. 

Where do you get your inspiration? 


All my inspiration comes from what I’ve seen, heard or felt. But the hardest part of songwriting is when you, at the time, don’t feel any love, but you have to write a love song. 

How do you cope with those times you can’t find inspiration, when you can’t write songs? 

Sometimes, you can arrange everything so you’re ready to write, you have coffee, cigarettes, paper and pen with you as you sit in a nice coffee shop, but you still don’t have any inspiration and can’t get in the mood. When that happens to me, I take my time and watch the other people or listen to everything and try to feel the ambience. I just don’t push myself too hard. 

Have you ever considered making your own album? 


I’m in the middle of making my very first album. It is scheduled to be released in July. There are 10 songs, which I recorded myself in a friend’s studio with a little help from my friend Fiqih Anggoro, who is acting as my music director. I recorded my album on my own independent label. 

So you’re an indie musician. Have you ever thought about trying to land a recording deal with a major label? 


It’s all about passion and satisfaction. If I record on my own label, I’m not being driven by someone else. 

Can we call you a producer too? 

I’m a producer for my own album, but not a music producer. However, I’m so grateful that I’m working with the most wonderful people in the universe [laughs]. They are inspiring, and become the color of the process — the art itself. 

And what is your main occupation? 


Right now I work as full-time English teacher at the Wall Street Institute. 

So how do you prefer to be known? 


I’d rather say that I’m a teacher who’s making music. Otherwise, I’d like to be known as an artist, because I make art. 

Is it true that most of your songs are written in English? Do you think some situations are better expressed in English? 


Yes. But I have no particular reason why I write lyrics in English or in Bahasa. Both languages have their own beauty. It’s just a matter of my ‘mood’ when I’m writing. 

Describe the kind of songs you make in three words. 

Sincere, honest and simple. 

Which of your songs do you like the most? 

I’d say all of them. They put me in different moods. I remember one of my favorite male singers, Leonardo Ringo. He once said, ‘Your songs are your children. You don’t say one of them is cheesy.’ 

Do you think Jakarta is a good place to spread your wings as a musician? 

Yes, because here the people are open-minded. I believe they’re open for any kind of music. 

What’s your suggestion for people who are taking baby steps in music? 

Keep on doing it. Free your mind by expressing yourself through art or whatever brings you pleasure. I think that’s the way to have fun in life. 

Dini Budiayu was talking to Farah Fadillah Anjanie.

Posted on Jakarta Globe 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

La Terrasse Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos